Surprise! It’s a recipe post! I know you’re probably thinking but this isn’t a food blog?! So far in three weeks of blogging no two posts have been the same – that’s just how my life is! My interest vary so much, but one thing I enjoy is baking. If you follow me on Twitter or Instagram you may have seen my picture of cinnamon banana muffins I made for my mother’s birthday. Many of you were liking the muffins so I thought I would share the recipe with you. It is a very quick and easy recipe, let me know if you try it and what you think!
Prep: 10 minutes Cook: 20 minutes Yields: Approx. 12 standard muffins
- 3 large ripe bananas
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1/3 cup butter (melted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- Heat oven to 375 F. Grease the bottoms only of a muffin pan with cooking spray or paper baking cups. (I prefer baking cups for easier clean up)
- Mash ripe banana in mixing bowl. Now there are two reasons for ripe bananas, first the darker you let the bananas get the sweeter the taste (which makes for better muffins) and second the bananas will be softer making them easy to mash with just a fork. I normally would have let these go a little longer, but I had to have them for my mother’s birthday.
- Mix sugar and slightly beaten egg into mashed bananas.
- Melt butter and add to mixing bowl. Tip: leaving butter in the paper wrapping when microwaving with result in melted butter without the mess and crackling that occur when the paper is removed.
- Add in remaining dry ingredients and mix well. (I like to add the flour a half cup at a time)
- Bake at 375 F for 20 minutes.
And that is it! Delicious cinnamon banana muffins! I like to top mine with a mix of cinnamon sugar or with a cinnamon streusel. To make streusel mix 1/4 cup sugar, 1/2 cup flour, 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon and 1/4 melted butter. Mix until you have a crumbly consistency and you’re ready to add to your muffins. You could also add the optional nuts or chocolate chips in as well, but they are great without.
Serving Suggestion – while muffins are still warm (or reheat if necessary) cut muffins and top with butter, like you might do a biscuit. Trust me that step will make this muffins out of this world!
Even if you are not a banana eater, like myself, you will enjoy these muffins. My fiancé and myself are both not fans of bananas, but we both LOVE these muffins. So go ahead and make yourself a treat! Be sure to share with me what you thought afterwards, also if you added your own touch to them. Enjoy! I’m going to go grab a muffin.